Beyond CSR: 10 eco-friendliest companies
MANILA, Philippines – They go beyond supposedly green projects under their Corporate Social Responsibility programs. These companies have made environmental protection "an integral part of their operations."
For this, they received the official seal of approval from the Deparment of Environment and Natural Resources (DENR) during the 5th Philippine Environment Partnership Program (PEPP) awarding ceremonies on Thursday, February 20.
The following companies were honored by the DENR as “Track 1 Companies,” or companies that went beyond compliance to environmental standards and improved their performance:
- Aboitiz Power Hedcor Sibulan Inc. – Davao del Sur
- Aboitiz Power Hedcor Inc. – Benguet
- Aboitiz Power Hedcor Inc. – Talomo Grid in Davao City
- Aboitiz Power Renewables Inc. – Makiling-Banahaw (Mak-Ban) Geothermal Power Plant in Laguna
- Coca-Cola Bottlers Phils. Inc. – Ilagan, Isabela
- Dole Philippines Inc. – main plant in Polomolok, South Cotabato
- Green Core Geothermal Inc. – Tongonan, Leyte
- Energy Development Corporation – Mt. Apo Geothermal Project in Kidapawan, North Cotabato
- Kepco-Ilijan Power Corporation – Batangas
- Petron Tacloban Depot – Leyte
The 10 were selected after a series of evaluation. According to DENR Undersecretary Demetrio Ignacio Jr, the award was given to participating industries that "made a mark in their environmental performance not so much as a corporate social responsibility program, but as an integral part of their operations."
The award takes note of companies that "embraced the principle that to thrive in the global and national arena, it is necessary to face environmental challenges."
The yearly Seal of Approval awardees are given relaxed submission requirements for their reports, longer validity of permits, as well as simplified requirements in securing an Environmental Compliance Certificate (ECC) for expansion projects. – Rappler.com