LTO chief Virginia Torres retires
MANILA, Philippines (2nd UPDATE) - After figuring out in a viral video showing her playing in a casino, Land Transportation Office (LTO) chief Virginia Torres announced her retirement.
She told ANC on Monday, October 7, she has talked to President Benigno Aquino III on September 30 regarding her decision.
The president, known as her shooting buddy, allowed her to leave the LTO post effective end of October, she said.
Torres and the president are both from Tarlac. She headed the province's LTO branch. She was appointed to her current post as assistant secretary at the LTO in July 2010, when President Aquino assumed office.
"We had a pleasant talk," she said, referring to her chat with the president in Malacañang regarding her retirement.
She said she turned 60 in May and served the government for 33 years. "In July 8, I told the employees in LTO during a flag ceremony that I'm retiring."
The YouTube video showing her playing in a slot machine at a casino surfaced in August.
Malacañang is currently investigating the incident. Department of Transportation and Communications (DOTC) Secretary Joseph Emilio Abaya had previously said Torres will be given due process. The LTO is an attached agency of the DOTC.
"I have spoken to Asec Virgie Torres. She met up with the president and I also had the chance to meet with her after. She has volunteered to file for retirement since she is already eligible to retire," Abaya said in a text message to reporters on Monday.
According to Memorandum Circular No. 8 issued by Malacañang on August 28, 2001, "All government personnel concerned are prohibited from entering, staying and/or playing at gambling casinos."
She said she will "accept" the decision that will come out of the investigation. - Rappler.com