Jessica Sanchez makes it to American Idol Top 5
MANILA, Philippines - You can take a breath now, Pinoy "American Idol" fans. Another gets eliminated on the show, but she's not your bet.
Securing one of the highest numbers of votes, Jessica Sanchez made it to the Top 5 of Fox's megahit singing competition on Thursday, April 27 (Friday in Manila).
American Idol got 58 million votes Wednesday night (Thursday in Manila), the highest tally so far this season.
New Jersey native Elise Testone, who was at the bottom of those votes, left the show.
TV critics say Testone had it coming.
The 28-year-old, who's the oldest among finalists, had been in the bottom 3 many times that Idol mentor Jimmy Iovine said she had a "vacation home" there.
In Wednesday's episode, the Idol finalists performed 2 songs -- one from the catalogue of rock legend Queen and another of their choice.
Sanchez, the 16-year-old Filipina-Mexican-American balladeer who's said to be an early favorite, struggled to connect with "Bohemian Rhapsody" but blew the judges away with Luther Vandross' "Dance With My Father."
Idol judge Jennifer Lopez said Sanchez's rendition of the Queen's rock anthem was beautiful, but needed more energy.
Her version of the second song however "was the best I've heard," Lopez remarked.
Sanchez dedicated the Vandross hit to her soldier dad, who will soon be deployed to Singapore.
It was a hit and miss for Testone, meantime, as she took on Queen's "I Want It All" and Jimi Hendrix's "Bold as Love."
Steven Tyler said her first performance was "what we've been waiting for you to do" and "even better" than the classic.
But the Hendrix song "wasn't the right song for this time in the competition," noted veteran judge Randy Jackson.
With Testone's exit, Sanchez is joined by Phillip Phillips, Joshua Ledet, Skylar Laine and Hollie Cavanagh in the Top 5.
The following are the songs sang by the other finalists:
- Laine: "Show Must Go On" (Queen); "Tattoos on This Town" (Jason Aldean)
- Ledet: "Crazy Little Thing Called Love" (Queen); Ready for Love (India.Arie)
- Phillips: "Fat Bottomed Girls" (Queen); "The Stone" (Dave Matthews Band)
- Cavanagh: "Save Me" (Queen); "The Climb" (Miley Cyrus)
Support for Jessica
On social networking sites, Filipino netizens expressed their support for Sanchez and congratulated her for surviving the latest elimination round. Some also gave her advice.
A fan posted on Sanchez's Facebook page, "CONGRATS, jessica! you are safe & included in Top 5."
Another one added,"ur the best singer in american idol jessica! good luck!!"
One also posted, "try to choose a song that could really highlight ur voice. Once we thought that you were going to be at the climax, you sorta held back."
Following the announcement that Sanchez was among the Top 5, "Jessica Sanchez Is Safe" trended on Twitter in the Philippines.
Click on the links below to read about Jessica's journey on American Idol.
- 'Idol': Jessica Sanchez moves on to top 4
- Unbelievable' talent: Jessica Sanchez again gets positive reviews on 'Idol'
- Jessica gets 'OK' for 'Rhapsody', praises for 'Dance With My Father'
- No goodbyes: Jessica Sanchez in AI's Top 6
- After near-exit, AI fans hate, love Jessica Sanchez's Fallin'
- Why did America snub Jessica Sanchez?
- TMZ was right: 'Idol' shocker as Jessica Sanchez nearly eliminated
- Jessica Sanchez performs 'Stuttering' in JLo shoes
- Why Jessica Sanchez and Joshua Ledet are a 'dream' pair
- 'Sweet Dreams' - and reviews - for Jessica Sanchez
- Is Jessica Sanchez Mexipino or Filixican?