7 fun facts about the new Jericho-Arci show 'Magpahanggang Wakas'
MANILA, Philippines – After last year's successful Bridges of Love, Jericho Rosales is back on television with Magpahanggang Wakas, which tackles an epic love story to withstand the test of time.
Jericho is paired up for the first time with Arci Muñoz, who became known for her role as Norma in the afternoon series Pasion de Amor, plus a number of movie roles including the hit Always Be My Maybe by Dan Villegas. Here are more fun facts about the show:
1. The show's name went through many changes. At the press conference last Sunday, September 11, director Ruel S. Bayani, the show's business unit head, explained the reason behind the show's name being changed to Magpahanggang Wakas from the original title Never Ever Say Goodbye.
"Originally we were inspired by "Kastilyong Buhangin,"we were going to use the song, pero nung nag-evolve na yung kuwento, malayo na siya eh," direk Ruel said.
(Originally, we were inspired by "Kastilyong Buhangin," we were going to use the song but the story evolved and it was really different already.)
"Naging Never Ever Say Goodbye, What I Did For Love and finally, si Ma'm Charo [Santos] din ito, sabi niya hindi eh, Till I Met You [is] English, dapat Tagalog. So there was this song from Erik Santos from 10 years ago, pina-record kay Piolo Pascual and gawing song because napanood na niya, sabi niya it's about great love more than anything else."
(It was Never Ever Say Goodbye, What I Did For Love, and finally Ma'm Charo [Santos] was the one who said, no. Till I Met You [is] English, it should be Filipino. So there was this song from Erik Santos from 10 years ago and was recorded by Piolo Pascual – and when she watched it, she said it's about great love more thant anything else.)
2. Parts of the show were shot in Caramoan. Magpahanggang Wakas is the story of Waldo, who is a fisherman and is in love with Aryann. Many of the scenes were shot on Caramoan Island.
3. Magpahanggang Wakas reunites director FM Reyes and wife Rita Avila in a project. The show also sees director FM Reyes working with wife, actress Rita Avila. When asked how it was directing his wife, direk FM, or Eric to his close friends, admitted it was not easy.
"Mahirap para sa amin (It's difficult for us) because I know her very well. I know her body of work and on the personal side, the one reason why I fell in love with her is because she's very very intelligent as an actress. I worked with her a long time ago, 15 years ago and that impressed me.
"But she's a quiet lady... I always find it challenging na pag dumarating sa set may pagagawa ako sa kanya and she's really quiet, thinking about it. But when she performs, medyo natatameme po ako," hesaid.
(But she's a quiet lady[...] I always find it challenging that when I arrive on set and I will make her do something and she's really quiet, thinking about it. But when she performs, I get so surprised.)
Rita meanwhile said: "I miss him directing me. Kasi 'pag nakikita ko yung mga ginagawa niyang shows, kahit yung pinakamaliit na actor, nagsha-shine. So after 15 years ito, nagkatrabaho uli kami. During the first day, pareho kaming naiilang sa isa't isa. Parang strange yung feeling na suddenly we're working together.
(Because when I see the show he directs, even the smallest parts shine. So after 15 years, we're working together again. During the first day, we both felt awkward working with each other. The feeling was quite strange that suddenly we're working together.)
"But it's a pleasure at the same time, kung na chachallenge siya, lalo naman ako. I have to keep up to his standards."
(But it's a pleasure at the same as if he feels challenged about it, I'm also challenged as well. I have to keep up to his standards.)
4. Jericho on his role in the show. During the press conference, Jericho said that while he doesn't mind going shirtless in some scenes of the show, he did hesitate a times.
"Naiilang lang ako pero pag sa story naman okay lang. At saka dati kasi dito sa Pilipinas, may perception na kailangan perfect 'yung katawan mo eh. So since the Hunks, nagkaroon ako ng insecurities dati dahil hindi ko masyadong trip yung lifestyle," he added.
(I was a bit conscious but if it's for the story, it's okay with me. And here in the Philippines, there's a perception that you need to have a perfect body. So since the Hunks, I had insecurities because I was not into the lifestyle.)
But more than just being about showing skin, Jericho said the show required it, especially his character.
"More than 'yung pagtanggal ng t-shirt, ganun yung character namin ni Mona, mas malalim pa doon na dapat kailangan makita ninyo," he said, adding there are layers to their characters people will have to discover.
(More than taking off the t-shirt...Mona and my character interact like that, it's deeper than that, you have to see.)
5. John Estrada and Gelli de Belen are part of the cast. Magpahanggang Wakas also stars John Estrada as Tristan, who will help Arci's character Aryann in the show and Gelli de Belen as Jenna, Tristan's ex-wife. The two were previoulsy in-laws as John was married to Gelli's sister actress Janice de Belen.
At the press conference, John said that he had no problem working with his former sister-in-law.
"Magaling si Gelli. I'm actually surprised and happy kasi, pag naguusap kami sa set na hindi naman madalas iyon – eh sinasabi niya sa akin na medyo rusty siya, nangalawang siya kasi matagal siyang hindi gumawa ng kasing laki at kasing seryosong soap na ganito. But, magaling, magaling siya," he said.
(Gelli is good. I'm actually surprised and happy because when we talk at the set which is not that much – she would always tell me that she was rusty, because she has not done a big and serious soap like this in a while. But she's very good.)
Direk Ruel said that when he offered the soap to Gelli, she had no problems accepting it since she and John are okay with each other.
Coincidentally, Janice is part of the show Be My Lady with John's wife, former beauty queen Priscilla Meirelles.
6. The show introduces newcomers Jomari Angeles, Maika Rivera and the return of veteran actress Liza Lorena on TV. Aside from Jericho, Arci, and John, the show features two newcomers – Jomari Angeles and Maika Rivera.
According to Jomari, he had a go-see with direk Ruel after doing Ma'Rosa. He landed the role of King, Waldo's brother. He also did independent films and was doing wokshops with director Brillante Mendoza.
Maika on the other hand was a tennis player before she entered showbiz. Originally from Pampanga, she grew up in Australia where she honed her tennis skills. She said that she got into showbiz because her sister tried out for Pinoy Big Brother, and she also auditioned but did not get in. One of the people from Star Magic saw her and she had a go-see. She was later included in the girl group Girl Trends and appeared in Always Be My Maybe.
The show is also the return of actress Liza Lorena on TV, after being away from doing soaps for almost 3 years. In the show, she plays the grandmother of Waldo and King.
7. Jericho on wife Kim's reaction to his kissing scenes and what he loves about his character. In an interview on Tonight With Boy Abunda, Friday, September 16, Jericho said his wife Kim Jones has never been jealous of the kissing scenes he does on-screen because he's a professional. In fact, Kim would even get upset if he's not doing his job properly.
"Si Kim kasi, 'pag alam niya, nakita niya o na-sense niya na, 'Mayroon kang kissing scene pero parang naiilang ka? Were you thinking about me kung ganun ha.' What kind of an actor are you 'di ba? Pag half-baked ako, maiinis siya sa akin," he said.
(With Kim, when she knows, she sees or senses that 'you have a kissing scene but you look hesitant? Were you thinking about me if ever?' What kind of an actor would I be, right? If I'm half-baked, she'll be annoyed.)
At the press conference, Jericho was asked what he loved about doing Waldo.
"What do I like about Waldo? Kasi binalik niya ako doon sa dati kung nagtitinda ako ng isda sa palengke...Kalimutan muna natin yung mga natutunan sa buhay, balikan muna natin ang simple, parang ganun. So ni reintroduce niya ako sa dati," he said.
(It made go back to the time I was selling fish at the market...Let's forget eveything we've learned in life. I went back to simpler times. It reintroduced me to everything from before.)
When he was younger, Echo used to help his mom sell fish after school at a market in Marikina City.
Magpahanggang Wakas also stars Lito Pimentel, Marco Gumabao, Danita Paner, and Justin Cuyugan. The show premieres on Monday, September 19. – Rappler.com