5 fun facts: Meet Ritz Azul
MANILA, Philippines – Ritz Azul is not new to showbiz. After starring in a number of shows on TV5, Ritz moved to ABS-CBN in 2016, where she appeared on FPJ's Ang Probinsyano, Maalala Mo Kaya, and Wansapanataym.
This 2017, Ritz is being introduced in first teleserye under ABS-CBN entitled The Promise of Forever alongside Paulo Avelino and Ejay Falcon. In the show, she plays Sophia, who goes off on a cruise to provide for her family. There she meets Nicholas (Paulo Avelino), whom she suspects was the man who saved from a fire when she was a child. She tries get to know him and eventually falls in love, despite his secret: He is immortal.
Let's know more about Ritz with the following facts.
1. She started her showbiz career by joining a reality show. Ritz joined TV5's Star Factor where she garnered in 4th place. She was part of the batch the included Eula Caballero and Morissette Amon, who would later become one ASAP's birit queens.
2. She posed for FHM. In November 2012, Ritz was introduced as the November 2012 cover of FHM. In 2014, she was ranked 22nd in FHM's sexiest women in the Philippines.
3. Ritz has worked with a number of veteran actors. Following her stint in Star Factor, Ritz was able to work a many actors such as Christopher de Leon in Misibis Bay and Lorna Tolentino in the shows Misterless Misis and Glamorosa on TV5.
4. She took acting lessons from Ivana Chubbuck. During the internationally acclaimed acting coach's visit to the Philippines in 2016, Ritz was one of the stars from Star Magic who was fortunate enough to take her two day acting class.
5. She once dreamed of becoming a beauty queen. In an interview with Pep in 2014, Ritz said she slightly regretted having posed for FHM early on because she won't be able to join Binibining Pilipinas. One of the rules of the pageant is that beauty queen aspirants cannot pose for men's magazines.
"This time nawalan ako ng pag-asa kasi tumatanda na rin ako, 23 na ako…eh ang goal ko sana makasali ako was 22 or 23 parang bata pa rin puwede umulit kung hindi manalo. Naiingit ako kapag nakakapanood ako na 'ay sana nandiyan ako, mga ganun feeling na. Pero masaya na ako ngayon sa career [ko]. Mas naging focus ko na lang," she said.
(This time, I don't have much hope because I'm getting older, I'm already 23... my goal was to join when I was 22 or 23, while I'm young and if I don't win, I can repeat. I do get envious when I watch pageants because I'm like 'I wish I was there,' that type of feeling. But I'm happy with my career [now]. I'm more focused.)
Despite this, Ritz said that she's opened to the possibility of joining other contests such as Miss World Philippines or Miss Earth.
"Hindi ko masabi na wala na talaga or anong mangyayari. Hindi ko muna [siya] focus." (I can't say if I will join or not or what might happen in the future. It's not my focus for the moment.)
Directed by Darnel Villaflor and Hannah Espia, The Promise of Forever premieres on September 11. – Rappler.com