Earth Day 2013 eco-tips countdown
MANILA, Philippines - Nature lovers all over the world are gearing up for April 22, designated International Mother Earth Day by the United Nations in 2009.
[See the original image here.]
In the Philippines, Earth Day celebrations are spearheaded by Earth Day Network Philippines. The main event will be at Quezon Memorial Circle in Quezon City.
Preparations and assembly start at 6am and will be followed by:
- 6:30am to 7:30am - “Lakad Para Sa Kalikasan” (Walk for Mother Earth)
- 7:30am to 11:30am - Main program and “Mini-Concert for Mother Earth”
- 1:00pm to 5:00pm - “Isang Diwa sa Pagdiriwang ng Kalikasan” (One Spirit in Celebrating Mother Nature)
[See the original image here.]
The theme of this year's Earth Day Philippines celebration is "Ecogovernance." It highlights environmental issues that have recently made headlines such as the damage done to the Tubbataha Reef by the USS Guardian, mining, President Benigno "Noynoy" Aquino's total log ban, and more.
Watch an Earth Day video here:
As a countdown to Earth Day, Earth Day Network Philippines posted a series of tips on their Facebook page on how to lead an Earth-loving life.
Here are some of them:
1. Practice solid waste management by segregating our waste.
Do not mix wastes. Paper goes with paper, plastic with other plastics, dry with other dry materials and wet with other wet materials.
2. Open windows to allow sunlight and air to enter your house.
By doing so, you avoid turning on your lights and your air-conditioning units. You cut your costs and you prevent the burning of fossil fuels.
3. Buy organic products.
Organic products are nurtured and raised using the most eco-friendly process. Also, they are healthy and do not contain toxins and free radicals that are dangerous to your health.
4. Teach kids about the environment.
As the future of this planet, children must learn about how life exists on this planet as early as possible. Make them involved in environmental events so they appreciate the Earth and take care of it.
5. Water your garden or your potted plants in the early morning or late afternoon.
By doing so, you lessen evaporation and therefore save up on water and avoid additional costs.
6. Print email and attachments only when necessary.
We can save trees by only printing out necessary documents. If not needed for filing, just leave it in your computer!
7. Ride mass transport systems.
Mass transport systems allow the distribution of carbon footprint among all the passengers thereby lessening greenhouse emissions.
8. Always bring and use reusable bags.
Plastic is a non-biodegradable material and can survive for thousands of years so make it a habit to bring your own reusable bag in order to avoid getting plastic bags.
9. Ride a bike or walk when going short distances.
By doing this, we avoid greenhouse gas emissions that pollute the air and damage our atmosphere and we get to exercise to improve our health.
10. Plant and nurture trees.
Trees are important because they provide the best carbon sink to combat global warming.
How are you celebrating Earth Day? Tell us by posting your comments below. - Rappler.com