Miss Universe PH 2016 Maxine Medina on the challenge of a back-to-back win
MANILA, Philippines – Miss Universe Philippines 2016 Maxine Medina knows that everyone's eyes are fixed on her as she prepares to compete in the Miss Universe 2016 pageant at end of the year.
During a live chat sponsored by Cream Silk on Monday, April 18, Maxine said that she definitely feels the pressure of trying to replicate the success of Miss Universe 2015 Pia Wurtzbach and keeping the crown in the nation's hands. (READ: 9 fun facts: Miss Universe Philippines 2016 Maxine Medina)
"I think my greatest fear is the expectations of everyone here in the Philippines because we have the Miss Universe [crown]. As Nichole [Manalo] said, we have to give more effort and practice more," she said. (WATCH: Miss Universe PH 2016 Maxine Medina's Bb Pilipinas Q&A)
In an interview on TV Patrol, Maxine asked for everyone's support, admitting that she felt nervous onstage during coronation night.
"Sana full heart po kayo to support me. Hindi niyo po alam ang feeling ng first timer – talking to everyone, thousands of people. Yung time na iyon, super nervous ako and I admit that," she said.
(I hope that you'll support me with a full heart. You wouldn't know how a first timer like me had felt – talking to everyone, thousands of people. At that time, I was super nervous and I admit that.)
During an apperance on Umagang Kay Ganda Tuesday, April 19, Maxine was asked if she had ever thought of becoming a beauty queen. Having a background in modelling and interior design, she replied that it came as a surprise to her.
"Well, at first for me, I dream about [being] an architect, interior designer pero wala sa wildest dream ko na maging beauty queen. So na-inspire ako and nagulat lang ako na (I was surprised that) I can be a beauty queen," she said.
In 2009, Venezuela achieved a rare back-to-back victory when Stefanía Fernández was crowned by her predecessor Miss Universe 2008 Dayana Mendoza.
Maxine explained what is at stake: "Since I'm the Miss Universe Philippines 2016, it's a pressure for me. S'yempre (Of course) Miss Pia Wurtzbach is our Miss Universe."
"So pressure sa akin (is on me), of course, because we have to win back-to-back. Everyone is expecting that," she added. – Rappler.com
More Binibining Pilipinas 2016 on Rappler:
- Maxine Medina crowned Miss Universe Philippines 2016
- FULL LIST: Winners, Bb Pilipinas 2016 coronation night
- Photo recap: Highlights, Bb Pilipinas 2016 coronation night
- WATCH: Pia Wurtzbach's emotional speech at Bb Pilipinas 2016 coronation
- WATCH: Pia Wurtzbach's farewell walk at Binibining Pilipinas 2016
- WATCH: Miss Universe PH 2016 Maxine Medina's Bb Pilipinas Q&A
- WATCH: The moment Maxine Medina became Miss Universe Philippines 2016
- WATCH: Bb Pilipinas 2016 evening gown competition at coronation night
- WATCH: Bb Pilipinas 2016 swimsuit competition at coronation night
- IN PHOTOS: Stars at Binibining Pilipinas 2016
Predictions and live blog:
- Bb Pilipinas 2016 predictions: Who will follow Pia Wurtzbach?
- LIVE UPDATES: Bb Pilipinas 2016 coronation night
- Kylie Verzosa tops Rappler poll on Binibining Pilipinas 2016
Leading up to coronation night:
- IN PHOTOS: 40 Bb Pilipinas 2016 candidates walk the runway at press presentation
- IN PHOTOS: Bb Pilipinas 2016 official swimsuit photos
- IN PHOTOS: Bb Pilipinas talent show 2016
- IN PHOTOS: Bb Pilipinas 2016 national costume competition
- IN PHOTOS: Bb Pilipinas 2016 candidates in casual wear fashion show
- IN PHOTOS: Bb Pilipinas 2016 Parade of Beauties
Get to know the ladies:
- 9 fun facts: Miss Universe Philippines 2016 Maxine Medina
- IN PHOTOS: Meet the candidates of Binibining Pilipinas 2016
- FULL LIST: Binibining Pilipinas 2016 candidates
- Pia Wurtzbach's advice for Bb Pilipinas 2016 candidates
- WATCH: Pia Wurtzbach's sassy assessment of Bb Pilipinas 2016 hopefuls
- WATCH: 'Star-struck' Pia Wurtzbach meets Manny Pacquiao
- Pia Wurtzbach confirms she's dating Dr. Mike, shares more details
- WATCH: Pia Wurtzbach shares story behind famous 'Ako bahala, babawi tayo sa Miss U' tweet