Rappler to conduct workshop for citizen journos
MANILA, Philippines – Rappler election volunteers from different parts of the country will gather on April 29-30 at the Richmonde Hotel, Ortigas for an exclusive journalism workshop under Rappler's "Ambassador Program."
Twenty ambassadors were selected to attend the two-day training, which will include talks on the basics of journalism, how to cover the elections, effective use of social media, and video production.
The citizen journalists, who volunteered to engage in monitoring of, and reporting during, the midterm polls, were chosen based on a review of their submitted profiles. Past volunteer work and published content for MovePH, Rappler’s citizen journalism arm, were also reviewed.
The training is part of Rappler’s efforts to include civil society in the duties of the media. This is even more crucial especially in the coming elections. (Read: Beyond the ballot: Be a Rappler mover!)
Rappler speakers who will preside over the workshop sessions are Citizen Journalism director Chay Hofileña, #PHvote editor Miriam Grace Go, Social Media head Michael Josh Villanueva, and Production head Lilibeth Frondoso.
The 20 participants were favored over close to 200 individuals who signed up as Rappler movers (citizen journalists). Professors, law students, bloggers, student leaders, and young professionals were among those chosen.
In alphabetical order, the following are the names of the 20 ambassadors:
- Ulderico Alviola - Los Baños, Laguna
- Cheska Arenas - Lingayen, Pangasinan
- Paula Beatriz Azurin - Bacolod City
- Khatrina Bonagua - Marikina City
- Bonn Troy Ma. Boñola - Calbayog City, Samar
- Eric Ray Burgonio - Sta Rosa, Laguna
- Mark Lester Chico - Los Baños, Laguna
- Jed Asaph Cortes - Biliran, Samar
- Jemm De Leon - Zamboanga City
- Anthony Esguerra - Nueva Ecija
- Gabrielle Espinosa - Tagbilaran, Bohol
- Ruben Espiritu - Los Baños, Laguna
- Giano Libot - Cagayan De Oro
- Raphael Martin Magno - Naga City
- Therene Quijano - Dumaguete City
- Faye Sales - Laoag City, Ilocos Norte
- Josa Marie Salvador - Batangas City
- Justine Siscas - Las Piñas City
- Renante Tomas - Cebu City
- Tricia Villaluz - Imus, Cavite
Official event partners for the Rappler Ambassador Program include Richmonde Hotel and 2Go Travel. – Rappler.com
Follow MovePH on Twitter: @moveph