Budget for IP misallocated, study reveals
A study conducted by the Samdhana Institute reveals that the budget framework used by the National Commission on Indigenous Peoples (NCIP) does not support the main thrust and priority programs of the Commission.
NCIP is the government’s primary agency for the protection and promotion of indigenous peoples' (IP) rights. Its mandate includes the formulation and implementation of programs with respect to ancestral domains and lands, cultural integrity, self-governance and social justice.
According to the report, NCIP’s budget is reflective of the little attention given to protection and promotion of ancestral domains.
Fight for ancestral domains
Land dispute has been a long and serious issue among IPs. Many lives have been lost, with IPs fighting for their ancestral domains. Without claims to ancestral domains, many families are displaced, leaving them homeless with no livelihood. (Read: Is Aquino snubbing indigenous peoples?, Land is life, CHR: Violations vs. IP rights an alarming trend.)
According to the study, majority of the NCIP budget is allotted to development services such as education, health and financial assistance. Only 4% is allocated to ancestral domain delineation and titling.
Misallocation of budget
The study examined the budget process, allocation and expenditures of the NCIP from 2007 to 2011.
The study shows that in a span of 5 years, 40% of the NCIP budget is used for administrative expenses, and for operations of programs and services. The rest of the 60% is allocated for personnel services.
Furthermore from 2006 to 2009, the budget items that directly benefitted IPs amounted to only 17% of total expenses.
Interviews with IP communities indicate that they have not participated in any consultations or activities in relation to the NCIP budget preparation. They are also unaware of the approved budget itself.
The study recommends the following:
- Participation of IPs in budget preparation
- Improvement in resource allocation
- Streamlining of priorities
- Tapping other sources of funds
- Establishing mechanisms for accountability and transparency of budget use – Rappler.com
This research is published with the consent of The Samdhana Institute. The full report may be viewed below.