#RubyPH: 1,000 houses damaged, but zero casualty in Catarman
MANILA, Philippines – About 1,000 houses were destroyed in Catarman, Northern Samar, at the height of the onslaught of Typhoon Ruby (international codename: Hagupit), but the town managed to record no casualties.
This was due to the preemptive evacuation that was implemented in the area, Jonathan Baldo of the Catarman Municipal Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Office said Sunday, December 7, in a message relayed to HAM radio operator Roberto Vicencio.
The entire province of Northern Samar has so far recorded zero casualty. Baldo dispelled rumors that the municipalities of Gamay and Lapinig were washed out due to Ruby.
Storm Signal Number 1 remains hoisted over Northern Samar as of 11 pm Sunday, according to state weather bureau PAGASA.
In Catarman, the runway of the airport was cleared Sunday evening after being submerged in floodwater.
The Lope de Vega-Catarman Road, however, is still not passable due to flooding as of 11 pm Sunday.
Telecommunication services are down and there is no electricity in Catarman, Baldo said. – Rappler.com