Obama calls Philippine president in wake of typhoon
WASHINGTON DC, USA – President Barack Obama spoke to Philippine President Benigno Aquino III Tuesday, November 12 (Washington time) to express sorrow for the destruction left by Super Typhoon Haiyan (Yolanda in the Philippines) and to coordinate US help.
Obama expressed America's "deep condolences for the lives lost and the damage caused" by the storm that is feared to have killed more than 10,000 people, his spokesman Jay Carney said.
The US president had ordered his administration to mount a "swift and coordinated response to save lives and provide assistance to alleviate suffering," Carney told reporters.
He said the aircraft carrier USS George Washington and several escort ships had been dispatched to the Philippines.
US Agency for International Development (USAID) was managing the American response, including food aid, and US armed forces were providing search and rescue operations and medical assistance, he added.
"In the days ahead the United States will continue to work in the Philippines to deliver whatever help we can," Carney said.
On November 10, Obama issued a statement that also commended the Filipinos' resilience.
"Michelle and I are deeply saddened by the loss of life and extensive damage done by Super Typhoon Yolanda. But I know the incredible resiliency of the Philippine people, and I am confident that the spirit of Bayanihan will see you through this tragedy," he said.
Other world leaders have sent their condolences to Yolanda victims. – Rappler.com