109 dead, over 4M affected by floods
MANILA, Philippines - A total of 109 people were reported dead by the floods that affected over 4 million citizens in Metro Manila and surrounding provinces, the government said on Thursday, August 16.
In its 6 am situation update, the National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (NDRRMC), raised the figure of affected population to 4,197,497, of which almost 1 million -- 988,766 -- are currently being served by evacuation centers.
The government noted that at least two people are still missing and 14 were injured, while 62,837 were rescued by the combined efforts of the police, military, the Coast Guard, local government units and Team Albay.
As of Wednesday evening, the total cost of damage to agriculture and infrastructure reached P3,055,845,281 in Regions I, III, IV-A, IV-B and the National Capital Region.
The destruction of crops has causes the prices of vegetables and other essential foodstuffs to rise by at least P10 per kilo, the Department of Agriculture said on Tuesday.
The NDRRMC also reported that 12,625 houses were totally or partially damaged.
A total amount of P115,959,997.52 worth of relief assistance was provided to the affected families by the Department of Social Welfare and Development, the Department of Health, LGUs and NGOs.
Roads, bridges still impassable
The NDRRMC said that as of Wednesday evening 22 roads and 3 bridges are still impassable 10 days after the worst flooding occurred.
Of the 9 dams being monitored, 5 are releasing water:
- San Roque
At least 61 cities and municipalities are still flooded and 49 are under state of calamity. - Rappler.com
More in #WeatherAlert:
- 85 dead in floods; over 3-M affected
- Disease alert in aftermath of floods
- P20,000 emergency loan available for affected GSIS members
- Maynilad reduces water supply
- What's the weather like in your area?
- US pledges P4-M for disaster relief
- LIVE BLOG: August 8 weather and disaster-related updates
- LIVE BLOG: Flood, traffic updates, photos
- Live Blog: Overnight monsoon and flood monitoring, August 8
- A night of fear and rain
- Almost P13M in relief aid distributed
- PHOTOS: PH capital, nearby cities at a standstill in floods
- Filipino values emerge in deluge