3rd plunder complaint filed vs Junjun Binay
MANILA, Philippines – Dismissed Makati mayor Jejomar Erwin “Junjun” Binay Jr is facing his third plunder complaint filed by a political rival before the Office of the Ombudsman on Friday, December 18.
Lawyer Renato Bondal filed the plunder complaint involving P828 million ($17.42 million) worth of IT contracts with the Makati city government that Codeworks.PH and Powerlink.Com Corporation cornered from 2008 to 2014. (READ: How Binay 'dummies' cornered Makati contracts for a decade)
Bondal previously called the two companies as the “Binay syndicate,” or alleged dummy companies of the dismissed mayor's father, Vice President Jejomar Binay, who was Makati’s local chief executive for two decades.
From 2008 to 2014, Codeworks bagged P526 million ($11.07 million) or 57% of the IT contracts in Makati, while Powerlink got P322 million ($6.8 million) or 35%.
The two companies’ incorporators, officers, and directors are among the respondents of the plunder complaint, along with Junjun Binay:
- Marguerite Lichnock – wife of alleged Binay bagman Gerardo “Gerry” Limlingan, director of the Meriras Realty and Development Corporation linked to the alleged Comembo land scam, chairman of Omni Security
- Lily Crystal – Limlingan's assistant, who had a joint account with Limlingan and Binay's personal secretary Eduviges “Ebeng” Baloloy, administrator of Agrifortuna Incorporated, which owned the so-called “Hacienda Binay”
- Mitzi Sedillo – assistant treasurer and director of Agrifortuna, Limlingan's secretary
- Arlene Viclar – director
- Ramona Yuson – director
Powerlink directors and officers
- Gerardo Limlingan – Binay financial adviser, president of JC Binay Foundation, director and major stockholder of Meriras, missing since Senate hearings began (READ: Binay's 'dear friend' got P1.3B contracts in 4 years)
- Edgardo Lacson – director and treasurer of JC Binay Foundation, consultant on trade and finance of the Office of the Vice President, member of the Board of Trustees of Pag-IBIG Fund
- Hirene Lopez – Omni treasurer, corporate secretary of Agrifortuna, wife of University of Makati president Tomas Lopez
- Jacqueline Arevalo – corporate secretary and director
- Allan Tienzo – general manager
- Ferdinand Diaz – director
“Wala naman ho talagang trabahong ginagawa tong mga kompanyang ’to. Binibigyan ng kontrata, binabayaran ng hundreds of millions of pesos pero ang gumaganap na dapat ginanap ng mga kumpanyang ito ay mga empleyado rin ng city hall ng Makati,” Bondal told reporters on Friday.
(These companies are not really doing anything. They were given contracts, paid hundreds of millions of pesos, but the people doing their jobs are the employees of Makati city hall.)
The lawyer added that he has a witness from Makati’s Urban Development Department who can prove this claim.
Bondal previously filed two plunder complaints against Junjun Binay and his father: on the alleged overpricing of the Makati city hall parking building II, and on the supposedly questionable deal between the University of Makati and the Systems Technology Institute.
He also filed a malversation complaint before the Ombudsman against Junjun Binay and sister, Makati Second District Representative Abigail Binay, for allegedly misusing Abby’s Priority Development Assistance Fund in 2011.
“Lahat ng finile kong kaso dito sa Ombudsman laban sa pamilyang Binay ay lagi namang sinasabi ni Ombudsman [Conchita] Carpio-Morales that the evidence of guilt is strong, kaya nga na-dismiss si Mayor Junjun Binay dahil dun sa isang kasong finile ko e,” said Bondal.
(Ombudsman Conchita Carpio-Morales said that the evidence of guilt is strong in relation to all the complaints against the Binay family that I filed before the Ombudsman. Mayor Junjun Binay was dismissed because of one of the complaints I filed.)
The Omdusman dismissed and barred Junjun Binay from holding public office for his involvement in the allegedly anomalous contracts for the Makati city hall parking building II.
Bondal was accompanied by United Makati Against Corruption spokesperson Raymond Kahiwat when he filed the plunder complaint.
Kahiwat is running for city councilor under the Liberal Party ticket of acting Mayor Romulo “Kid” Peña Jr. – Rappler.com