4 dead in Cebu buy-bust encounter
CEBU CITY, Philippines – A buy-bust operation turned violent when 4 drug suspects opened fire on police in Toledo City, Cebu at around 2 am on Wednesday, August 3, authorities said.
"Medyo malaki laki yung nakuha sa kanila (We got a big catch from them)," said Cebu Provincial Police Office (CPPO) Director Jose Macanas.
Police recovered 23 sachets of shabu weighing 100 grams and carrying a street value of P500,000.
The police identified the suspects who were killed as Jerome Gara, 49; Remy Dolino, 22; and Carlito Marinay and Richard Borbon, whose ages are unknown.
Recovered from the scene were 3 .38 caliber revolvers and a .45 caliber pistol. All weapons were loaded.
Mascanas said there were 3 other buy-bust operations that happened in the province in the towns of Minglanilla, Barili, and Sogod. "Pero walang namatay kasi walang lumaban (But no one died because no one fought back)," Macanas said.
Police and drug enforcement officers are also on the lookout for suspected drug lord Rolando "Kerwin" Espinosa Jr, the son of Albuera Mayor Rolando Espinosa, whom they believe could be hiding in Cebu, where the Espinosas are originally from.
In another incident on Wednesday morning, a 51-year-old drug suspect who had previously surrendered was gunned down by an unknown assailant in Liloan town while playing mahjong with friends. – Rappler.com