DOJ forms 3-member team to probe Davao blast
MANILA, Philippines – The Department of Justice (DOJ) has formed a 3-member team to assist the investigation into the September 2 Davao City bombing that killed at least 14 people and hurt over 60 others.
Justice Secretary Vitaliano Aguirre II has issued Department Order No. 585, where he named the members of the team: Regional Prosecutor Janet Grace Fabrero (Region 11), Davao City Prosecutor Nestor Ledesma, and lawyer Ronald Rosales of the National Bureau of Investigation-Southeastern Mindanao Regional Office.
"In the interest of public service and pursuant to the provisions of existing laws, the following personnel...are hereby directed to coordinate with each other and with personnel from other law enforcement agencies with regard to the investigation on the September 2, 2016 explosion in Davao City," Aguirre said in Department Order 585.
The members of the team will submit a periodic report to Justice Undersecretary Antonio Kho Jr.
"The perpetrators will be brought to justice. We will cooperate with the other law enforcement agencies on this concerted effort to flesh out the persons responsible," Aguirre said.
The Abu Sayyaf had earlier claimed responsibility over the bombing at the Davao City night market, reportedly in retaliation for the Duterte administration's all-out war against the group after it was confirmed that it had executed another hostage on August 24.
President Rodrigo Duterte has declared a state of national emergency due to lawlessness following the bombing incident in his hometown. – Rappler.com