Ilocanos protest too: 'Marcos is no hero'
CAGAYAN, Philippines – Ilocano protesters from around the Marcos-supporting provinces also staged indignation rallies on Friday, November 25, condemning the hero's burial of the late president and dictator Ferdinand Marcos.
Even under the rain, about a hundred protesters in the province converged at Rizal Park in Tuguegarao and marched to the central business district of the city, shouting "Haan a bannuar ni Marcos!" (Marcos is no hero).
The protesters included Martial Law victims from the Cagayan Valley region and their families, militant groups, and youth and student organizations.
Mia Liquigan, chairperson of the peasant group Karapatan-Cagayan Valley, said they are not tamed in protesting despite the evident large support to Marcoses in Cagayan.
"Alam po namin na Marcos-country ito pero umaasa kami na magkakaroon ng malayang pagpapahayag ang mga nagproprotesta, dahil kami po ay patuloy na sumasamo kahit po sa mga Marcos loyalists," Liquigan said.
(We are aware that this is a Marcos-country but we are hoping that they will let us, the protesters, use our freedom of expression, as we continue to persuade even for the Marcos loyalists.)
Liquigan said that there were thousands of Martial Law victims in the region.
She said thousands have attended the regional meeting for the reparation for human rights victims during the Martial Law.
For highlights of the November 25 rallies across the country, go to Rappler's live blog. – Rappler.com
- The night Ferdinand Marcos was buried – again
- Students at anti-Marcos rally: We're part of the fight
- Luneta protesters to Duterte: End alliance with Marcos family
- UP Oblation Run hits Marcos burial at Heroes' Cemetery
- Sideshow: Group goes to Luneta to defend Duterte
- IN PHOTOS: Signs of the times at Luneta rally
From the provinces
- Baguio anti-Marcos rally: 'This will not be the last'
- Bishop to Marcoses: Don't use a corpse for ambitions
- Bicol protesters: Hold Duterte accountable for Marcos burial
- Bacolod: Negrenses rally in heavy rain vs Marcos burial
- Ilonggos brave rains to protest Marcos burial
- Protesters in Imelda’s Tacloban: Dig up Marcos remains
- IN PHOTOS: Anti-Marcos rallies outside Metro Manila