Ateneo de Davao suspends classes over bomb threat
DAVAO CITY, Philippines (3rd UPDATE) – The Ateneo de Davao University (ADDU) on Friday, September 29, suspended classes following a bomb threat that circulated in the city through text messages.
"All classes are suspended. Please evacuate the Roxas campus immediately," ADDU said in its official Twitter page.
ADDU president Fr Joel Tabora, SJ, was the first to tweet the announcement, saying classes in the campus had been called off for the rest of the day. “Stay away until all is checked,” he said.
ADDU Classes in Jacinto Campus called off for the rest of the day. Stay away until all is checkd. @ADDU_Official— Joel Tabora, SJ (@Joeltaborasj) September 29, 2017
Following Tabora’s announcement, the university suspended all classes.
“Please refrain from entering the campus until all is cleared,” ADDU said in a tweet. "Stay safe, don't panic and be vigilant."
The ADDU student publication, Atenews, tweeted photos of students leaving the campus as a security check was conducted.
IN PHOTOS: After news of a bomb threat spread across the AdDU Jacinto campus, necessary measures were taken. pic.twitter.com/4ckp83eaBg— Atenews (@atenews) September 29, 2017
The police deployed K9 dogs to the university's Roxas campus in Roxas to search for suspicious items.
Chief Inspector Nolan Raquid of the Sta Ana Police Station said they did not find any such items.
For safety reasons, however, Raquid said the police would not declare the area clear from threat yet.
He also confirmed that a student received a text message past noon on Friday.
The bomb threat stemmed from a text message that circulated in this city which claimed, “A BOMB WILL EXPLODE TODAY AT ATENEO DE DAVAO. BEWARE.”
Tabora declared that the campus was "cleared" before 5 pm.
A year ago, 14 people were killed in an explosion at the Davao night market right across the university. Two of those injured in that blast were ADDU students. – Rappler.com