Magnitude 5.6 earthquake hits North Cotabato
MANILA, Philippines (UPDATED) – A magnitude 5.6 earthquake hit North Cotabato on Tuesday night, July 9.
The Philippine Institute of Volcanology and Seismology (Phivolcs) said in its earthquake bulletin that the tremor, which was tectonic in origin, struck west of Makilala town at 8:36 pm on Tuesday.
The earthquake was strongly felt in Makilala, North Cotabato; Kidapawan City; Koronadal City; and Santa Cruz, Davao del Sur, where Intensity V was recorded.
ABS-CBN reported that in Digos City, moviegoers ran out of the theater after they felt the tremor. In a supermarket in the city, items fell of shelves because of the earthquake.
Phivolcs describes the general earthquake situation at Intensity V: "Generally felt by most people indoors and outdoors. Many sleeping people are awakened. Some are frightened, some run outdoors. Strong shaking and rocking felt throughout building. Hanging objects swing violently. Dining utensils clatter and clink; some are broken. Small, light and unstable objects may fall or overturn. Liquids spill from filled open containers. Standing vehicles rock noticeably. Shaking of leaves and twigs of trees are noticeable."
Phivolcs recorded the following intensities:
- Intensity V - Makilala, North Cotabato; Kidapawan City; Koronadal City; Santa Cruz, Davao del Sur
- Intensity IV - Magpet, Matalam, Kabacan and Tulunan, North Cotabato; Davao City; Polomolok, Tupi, Tampakan, and Sto Nino, South Cotabato; Tacurong City; President Quirino, Sultan Kudarat; Glan and Malungon, Sarangani
- Intensity III - General Santos City; Kiamba, Sarangani; Kalilangan and Damolog, Bukidnon; Carmen, North Cotabato; Bagumbayan, Sultan Kudarat
- Intensity II - Cotabato City; Nabunturan, Compostela Valley; Valencia City; Maramag, Lantapan, Cabanglasan, Kadingilan, and Kibawe, Bukidnon; Pikit, North Cotabato
- Intensity V - Kidapawan City
- Intensity I - Zamboanga City
Aftershocks were recorded folowing the earthquake, including a magnitude 4.9 earthquake past 9 am on Wednesday, July 10, but no damage had been reported as of posting. – Rappler.com