Radio manager vs Negros mayor?
MANILA, Philippines - Radyo Natin manager and franchise owner Segundino Taladico, 53, reported receiving death threats on April 13, a month after his radio station in Negros Occidental was ordered closed.
According to a statement by the National Union of Journalists of the Philippines (NUJP), Taladico received an anonymous SMS message that says: "Hoy, Dino! Gintigan-an kna hitman, ti halong ka guid olwis! 1, 2 ka lang tuwad ka na (Hey Dino! I got a hitman for you. Take care always! Bend over at the count of two!)"
It's not the first time Taladico received threats. In December last year, he received an SMS that says: "Marunong ka bang magdasal? Kasi isa o dalawang bala lang tutumba ka na (Do you know how to pray? In one or two shots, you're dead)."
Taladico is the franchise owner owner of dySL Radyo Natin based in the Hinoba-an town of Negros Occidental.
NUJP noted that Taladico received the latest threat a month after Hinoba-an town Mayor Ma. Teresa Bilbao padlocked in March his radio station on grounds that he failed to secure a business permit from 2010.
Taladico said he complied with all the requirements. "I complied with and submitted the needed [documents for the permit] to the municipal treasurer as early as January," he told the NUJP Media Safety Office in a phone interview.
Taladico claimed the mayor's move to close his radio station could be politically motivated. dySL Radyo Natin used to run blocktime programs of the local government and the mayor's rival.
Taladico claimed he learned that the mayor told the treasurer's office to ignore the requirements he submitted.
"The mayor failed to observe due process and violated freedom of the press," Taladico said.
Taladico on March 25 pressed civil damages against Bilbao before Branch 61 of the Kabankalan City Regional Trial Court. The court has yet to set a preliminary hearing. - Rappler.com