#RubyPH kills 11, affects over 2 million – NDRRMC
MANILA, Philippines – At least 11 were killed and 2 million Filipinos affected by Typhoon Ruby (Hagupit) – now a tropical storm – which is heading out of the Philippine landmass, the National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (NDRRMC) chief said on Tuesday morning, December 9.
Undersecretary Alexander Pama, NDRRMC executive director and Office of Civil Defense administrator, said that as of 6 am on Tuesday, the NDRRMC's official death toll is at 3.
Pama separately confirmed, however, that there were 8 more Ruby-related deaths in Samar but the Department of Health (DOH) is still getting the details.
At least 45 were injured due to "laceration," he said.
Among those killed is two-month-old Princess Abelgas of Calbayog, Samar, who was hit by a fallen tree.
Teenager Jimmy Cardente, 14, of Cebu died of electrocution while Sunny Recto of Biliran died of blunt head trauma when he was hit by debris.
The NDRRMC excluded from the list two persons who died of hypothermia in Iloilo province while inside evacuation centers, as pre-existing illnesses reportedly caused their deaths.
The Philippine National Red Cross has a higher death toll of 27, based on initial reports. Pama said the NDRRMC is also getting casualty reports from the ground but the NDRRMC can only include in its official report cases validated by the DOH.
The NDRRMC recorded a total of 456,386 families or 2,086,562 persons affected by Typhoon Ruby. Out of this number, 371,846 families or 1,699,041 persons are currently being served in evacuation centers.
Classes remain suspended on Tuesday in some areas of Central Luzon, Calabarzon, Mimaropa, Eastern Visayas, and Metro Manila.
A total of 1,523 passengers, 38 vessels, 379 rolling cargoes, and 2 motorbancas are still stranded.
Twenty provinces in 6 regions are experiencing power outages. Power has been restored in Romblon, Masbate, Bohol, and in a number of municipalities in Camarines Sur, the NDRRMC said.
Globe and Smart services are still down in some parts of Leyte and Eastern Samar, making a full assessment of the ground situation difficult.
Telecommunications companies had earlier vowed to restore services in affected areas as soon as possible. (READ: Telcos: Cellphone signal in Ruby-hit areas back Monday) – Rappler.com