Cebu gov blocks reinstatement of Gwen Garcia appointee
CEBU, Philippines – Cebu Governor Hilario Davide III will not reinstate an appointee of his predecessor despite a Civil Service Commission (CSC) order, pending a final ruling on the case.
Provincial Attorney Orvi Ortega said on Friday, February 20, that Davide will exhaust all legal options and bring the case of Marivic Garces, former Provincial Social Welfare and Development Office (PSWDO) chief, all the way to the Supreme Court if necessary.
“As long as we still have legal remedies and options, we will avail of it," Ortega said.
Garces had filed a case against then acting Governor Agnes Magpale for removing her as PSWDO head in December 2012, after Malacañang suspended Gwendolyn Garcia as Cebu governor.
Garcia, who was suspended for 6 months for grave abuse of authority, returned to the capitol two weeks before the end of her term in June 2013 and reinstated Garces as PSWDO chief.
When Davide won as Cebu governor in 2013, he removed Garces from the post and transferred her to the Danao City Provincial Hospital.
On January 13, 2015, the CSC ordered the reinstatement of Garces as PSWDO head, but Davide has not implemented it, prompting Garces to write the governor on January 28, seeking her reinstatement based on the CSC resolution.
In his reply to Garces, Davide said that since he filed a motion for reconsideration on the CSC order on February 5, there is no need to implement the order pending the resolution of his motion.
“It is my view that the better part of prudence is to await the resolution of the CSC motion for reconsideration in order not to render moot the said motion,” said Davide.
Ortega explained the case filed by Garces was against Magpale, and not Davide, and that Garces had been reinstated as PSWDO chief when Garcia returned to the capitol after observing the suspension order. – Rappler.com