IN PHOTOS: 3rd ASEAN Chief Justices Meeting
MANILA, Philippines – The Philippines hosted the 3rd ASEAN Chief Justices Meeting (ACJM) held March 1 to 3 in Boracay island, a top tourist destination.
Rappler's coverage of ACJM:
- 'Rule of law must prevail as ASEAN integrates'
- ASEAN co-mediation of child custody rows proposed
- ASEAN chief justices tackle cross-border child custody rows
- Sereno: Long way to go for liberalized legal profession
- SC: Efficient courts vital to ASEAN integration
- Sereno lone female chief justice in ASEAN meeting
- ASEAN chief justices meet in PH as bloc gears up for integration
Judiciary leaders from member-states of the Association for Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) took time to share best court practices in the region, including court technology and case management techniques.
The event sought to foster a better understanding of each nation's judiciaries, with Chief Justice Maria Lourdes Sereno admitting that chief justices even work during coffee breaks.
"Some play golf, so mukhang nagkakaintindihan sila on the tee (so it seems they understand each other on the tee)....I don't play golf," quipped Sereno, the only female chief justice in ASEAN since 2012.
While court traditions differ among ASEAN member-states, judicial cooperation can help boost investment.
An opening dinner with performances from locals was prepared for the foreign guests, who were welcomed by the Philippine justices.
Below are some scenes from the 3-day gathering.