Roxas: No plans of resigning 'for now'
MANILA, Philippines – Interior Secretary Manuel Roxas II, the presumptive bet of the Liberal Party (LP) for the 2016 presidential elections, took to Twitter on Monday, April 13, to say that he “has no plans of resigning for now.”
“Maraming salamat sa lahat ng mayroon interes sa aking mga plano. Wala akong plano na mag-resign sa ngayon,” Roxas said in a series of tweets. (Thank you to everyone who has expressed interest in my plans. I have no plans of resigning for now.)
The interior chief and Liberal Party stalwart was likely reacting to a Manila Bulletin report, which, citing sources, said Roxas would be resigning by June 2015 to prepare for his bid for the presidency in 2016.
Roxas ran but lost as President Benigno Aquino III’s running mate in the 2010 elections. He is widely believed to be the LP’s presidential bet, although Roxas himself has been coy about his plans.
In an earlier interview Roxas said his current job – as interior chief and National Police Commission chairman – is his priority. He made the same assertions on Monday.
“Ako ay nagsisilbi para sa daang matuwid at kay Pnoy na syang timon nito. Hindi ko tatalikuran ang ano mang i-aatas ni PNoy para sa pagpapatuloy at pagpapalawak ng daang matuwid,” Roxas added.
(I serve for the sake of the straight path, which is led by President Benigno Aquino III. I will not turn my back on any task the President gives in order to continue and expand and straight path.)
Roxas, in a chance interview with reporters last week, shot down his 2010 rival, Vice President Jejomar Binay’s “serious” offer for Roxas to run as his vice president in 2016. (READ: Roxas as Binay’s VP? 'I won’t ally with the corrupt')
Binay is thus far the only candidate with clear plans and the machinery for a 2016 presidential bid. – Rappler.com