Rappler's coverage of campaigns and elections in the Philippines.
Know the candidates, political parties, power brokers, watchdogs & the voters. This is your site for timely reports, comprehensive data, expert analyses, online conversations, and citizens' collaboration.
MANILA, Philippines - No surprises here.
The second week of April ushers in tons of finger-pointing and accusations of lies, as allegations continue to spread just a month before the 2013 midterm elections.
An old ghost haunts a senatorial candidate from over 3 decades past, documentary evidence surfaces, while another bet compares his life to a Shakespearean play.
With the local races also gaining heat, senatorial candidates find themselves in good company as local politicians join in the drama and the action.
Who's lying now? You decide.
“The former US Ambassador to the Philippines – as reported in Wikileaks – did not provide any evidence to support his statement. He admitted it was based on rumors circulating at that time. In short, tsismis lang, and the former ambassador was being tsismoso when he passed on to Washington this piece of gossip."
- UNA secretary general and campaign manager Toby Tiangco in a statement, on Wikileaks report that United Nationalist Alliance (UNA) bet Jack Enrile killed Ernest Lucas Jr in 1975
"He was, at that time, known to be against the administration, and that incident provided him an opportunity to embarrass the Marcos administration and cast a high government official and his son in a negative light with Washington."
- Jack Enrile, in a statement in repsonse to the Wikileaks report, Enrile slams former United States Ambassador to Manila William Sullivan
"At 76, di po ba dapat nagpapahinga na kayo (shouldn't you be resting)?"
- UNA candidate JV Ejercito to independent senatorial candidate and retired major general Ramon Montaño at ANC's Harapan 2013 on Tuesday, April 9
"I know your father, hindi ka ba natatakot sa (are you not scared of) genetic deterioration?"
- Montaño in response to Ejercito at Harapan 2013
After previously saying that Erap, a mayoralty bet, is 75, JV asks Montano: At 76, di po ba dapat nagpapahinga na kayo? #Harapan2013— Francis Toral (@francisbtoral) April 9, 2013
"Sa pagboto, sundin ang konsyensya, hindi ang SWS/Pulse Asia."
- Kenneth Dimalibot, staff of UNA bet Richard Gordon, via his Twitter account @justcallmelloyd
"Akala ko yung mga kwento na bawal na pag-ibig, bawal umibig sa mas mayaman, at Romeo and Juliet, sa libro at sine lamang. Sana sa inyo na lang nangyari, hindi na lang sa akin."
(I thought stories of forbidden love, preventing you from loving wealthier women, and Romeo and Juliet only happen in books and movies. I wish this happened to you, instead of me).
- Team PNoy bet and re-electionist Chiz Escudero, compares his relationship to girlfriend Heart Evangelista to Romeo and Juliet on the sidelines of the Inquirer Senatorial Forum on Wednesday, April 10
"It is my obligation as leader of the Moro people to fix the brokenness of the past, to right the crooked road. This is clear under the government of Aquino. As a Muslim, it is our obligation to fix the mistakes of the past."
- Autonomous Region of Muslim Mindanao officer-in-charge and Liberal Party bet Mujiv Hataman in a rally with Team PNoy in Buluan City, Maguindanao on April 12
"We will not gamble what our party stands for on people we are not sure will follow the rules of our party."
- President Benigno Aquino III in Capiz on April 10 vows LP members will not get special treatment if guilty of vote-buying
“Ngayon naman ay hinahamon namin si Mayor Lim if he is a man of his word, narito ang pruweba, tingnan natin kung may isang salita siya o trapo lamang siya”
(Now, we are daring Mayor Lim if he is a man of his word, here is the proof, let's see if he can keep his word or he's merely a rubbish politician)
- UNA Vice mayoral candidate Isko Moreno, presenting supposed evidence that rival Mayor Alfredo Lim ordered his arrest over bingo activities. Lim had earlier said he would resign if Moreno could show proof.
"Pareho silang sinungaling ni Erap. Bagay talaga silang magsama. Sabi nga birds of the same feather flock together."
(He and Erap are both liars. They complement each other. As the saying goes, birds of the same feather flock together.)
- Manila Barangay Bureau director Analyn Buan defends Lim, arguing the memo presented by Moreno was a general order made a month before Moreno's bingo event
- compiled by Natashya Gutierrez/Rappler.com
A new dynasty is born in Marinduque: Velasco's son is also reelected representative while his wife ...
Defeated vice presidential candidate Bongbong Marcos moves for the technical examination of ...
Check these out to see results from:
Find your region and check out who's winning from the provincial, district, and municipal level.