Comelec holds special elections for 19,000 voters
MANILA, Philippines – The Commission on Elections (Comelec) on Saturday, May 14, is holding special elections for around 19,000 voters in 55 clustered polling precincts where the Comelec declared a failure of elections last May 9.
The Comelec said special elections will be held for various reasons, including logistical and technical concerns.
In a polling precinct in Western Samar, a vote-counting machine (VCM) was burned by 3 armed men with bonnets at around 3:25 pm on May 9. The assailants also destroyed all election paraphernalia and related documents. Only voting receipts had been left intact in that polling precinct.
In Barangay Gabi, Cordova, Cebu, 436 voters failed to vote because the polling precinct ran out of official ballots. In its Resolution 10129, which declared special elections in several areas, the Comelec didn’t explain why this happened.
The lack of ballots, however, happened after the Comelec allowed voters to get one replacement ballot each, provided the VCM rejected their ballots through no fault of theirs.
Meanwhile, in an area in Sulu, teachers serving as election inspectors "did not report on election day" at Kayawan Primary School.
Precincts with special elections
The following specific areas are holding special elections on Saturday:
- 1 precinct with 436 voters in Cordova, Barangay Gabi, Cebu
- 2 precincts with 1,298 voters in Maitum, Sarangani; and Santa Cruz, Marinduque
- 2 precincts with 849 voters in Barangay Mabuyong, Anini-y, Antique; and Barangay Insubuan, San Remigio, Antique
- 47 precincts with 15,074 voters affected in Lope de Vega, Barangay Roxas, Northern Samar; Matuguinao-Nagpapacao, Western Samar; Binidayan, Lanao del Sur; Pata (Daungdong, Kamawi Island, Kayawan, Likud, Niog-niog, and Timmudas) and Panglima Estino (Gagguil, Gata-gata, Jinggan, Kamih Pungud, Lihbug-Kabaw, Lubuk-lubuk, Pandakan, and Tiptipon) in Sulu; and Tamparan (Dilausan, Bangun, Dasumalong), Lanao del Sur
- 1 precinct in Barangay Katuli, Sultan Kudarat, Maguindanao
- 1 precinct in Barangay Binucayan, Loreto, Agusan del Sur
- 1 precinct in Barangay Palayog, Hinigaran, Negros Occidental
Comelec Spokesman James Jimenez said the poll body is waiting for the results of Saturday’s special elections before proclaiming the winning senators and party-list groups.
He said the proclamation of the new senators and party-list groups is likely to be held on Tuesday or Thursday, May 17 or 19. – Rappler.com
Who won in the 2016 Philippine elections?
Check out the 2016 official election results through the link below:
- 2016 official election results for Presidential, Vice Presidential, Senatorial, and Party list elections
Check out the 2016 unofficial election results for the national and local races through the links below
- 2016 Philippine Presidential Elections
- 2016 Philippine Vice Presidential Elections
- 2016 Philippine Senatorial Elections
- 2016 Philippine Congressional Elections
- 2016 Party List Elections
- 2016 Philippine Local Elections