Newsbreak Chats: Cebu killings, election-related violence, and other top stories in May 2019
Bookmark this page to watch and join the discussion live on Thursday, May 30, at 4 pm!
MANILA, Philippines – There is no end in sight to the violence that has seen thousands of deaths across the country.
The province of Cebu is one of the epicenters of high-profile killings outside of Metro Manila. In a two-part series, Rappler's Patricia Evangelista zoomed into the municipality of San Fernando in the province where politicians in a drug list were gunned down one by one in the months leading to the 2019 elections.
The killings continue amid a bigger culture of impunity seen in the Philippines since President Rodrigo Duterte took office in 2016 – especially in Manila and Central Luzon. Despite the huge number, there is still a systematic delay in solving killings. (READ: Duterte gov't allows 'drug war' deaths to go unsolved)
On Thursday, May 30, the Newsbreak team sits down to discuss violence – both election-related and drug-related – that occurred in the past months, and possible developments in the latter half of the administration that may have implications on justice and human rights, among others.
Will the killings continue? Is there an end in sight? Catch the discussion live on Thursday, May 30! – Rappler.com
MORE ON 'NEWSBREAK CHATS' IN 2019
- Newsbreak Chats January 2019: Bangsamoro plebiscite, lowering age of criminal liability
- Newsbreak Chats February 2019: Disinformation, elections, and Rappler cyber libel case
MORE ON #PHVOTE 'NEWSBREAK CHATS':
- Newsbreak Chats: Does the opposition slate stand a chance?
Newsbreak Chats: Keeping an eye on crucial local elections
- Newsbreak Chats: Vote-buying beyond just giving cash
- Newsbreak Chats: Should Philippine elections be this expensive?
- Newsbreak Chats: The May 2019 elections and social media
MORE ON 'NEWSBREAK CHATS' IN 2018
- Newsbreak Chats December 2018: Top stories in 2018, what to expect in 2019
- Newsbreak Chats: Xi Jinping's state visit, Rappler's Fact Check Project
- Newsbreak Chats: Election fever, Cebu as 'crime city'
- Newsbreak Chats: Trillanes' amnesty revocation and arrest
- Newsbreak Chats: Rice crisis, Arroyo as House Speaker
- Newsbreak Chats: Marites Vitug on significance of 'Rock Solid'
- Newsbreak Chats: Anti-tambay campaign, Duterte vs the Church
- Newsbreak Chats: Calida contracts, Cesar Montano, and PhilHealth
- Newsbreak Chats: Boracay closure, Kuwait OFWs, and disinformation
- Newsbreak Chats: Malacañang ban, quo warranto vs Sereno
- Newsbreak Chats: Navy frigates, Russian propaganda