Airlines cancel, reschedule flights during papal visit
MANILA, Philippines – Two more airlines announced changes in their flight schedules during the Philippine visit of Pope Francis from January 15 to 19.
Budger carrier AirAsia announced the cancellation of 24 domestic and international flights on January 15, 17, and 19, as roads leading to the Ninoy Aquino International Airport would be temporarily closed and would affect airline operations during the papal visit.
Four international flights to Kuala Lumpur and Seoul, and 10 domestic flights to Cebu, Tacloban, Kalibo, Tagbilaran, and Kalibo scheduled on January 15 have been called off.
AirAsia also cancelled 6 flights to and from Tacloban City in Leyte on January 17 as Francis is scheduled to visit the typhoon-battered province.
The low-cost carrier also cancelled 4 flights to Tagbilaran, Kalibo, and Cebu, on January 19, the Pope’s departure day from the country.
Affected passengers could opt to move to the next available flights of the same route within 30 days from original departure, or a refund, AirAsia said. Credit accrued from the flight changes shall be valid for 90 days.
Cathay Pacific reschedules flights
Hong Kong-based Cathay Pacific cancelled only two of its flights, and rescheduled most of them during the 4-day papal visit.
The cancelled flights are:
- January 18 – CX913 – Hong Kong to Manila
- January 19 – CX912– Manila to Hong Kong
The new schedule of the following flights are:
- CX918 – Manila to Hong Kong; 1755-2010 to 1500-1715
- CX902 – Manila to Hong Kong; 1955-2205 to 1510-1720
- CX919 – Hong Kong to Manila; 1440-1645 to 1055-1300
- CX903 – Hong Kong to Manila; 1635-1845 to 1135-1345
- CX912 to CX2912 – Manila to Hong Kong; 0845-1055 to 0630-0840
- CX918 – Manila to Hong Kong; 1755-2010 to 1900-2115
- CX902 – Manila to Hong Kong; 1955-2205 to 2110-2320
- CX903 – Hong Kong to Manila; 1635-1845 to 1750-2000
- CX906 – Manila to Hong Kong; 1100-1320 to 1155-1415
- CX907 to 2907 – Hong Kong to Manila; 0750-0950 to 0300-0500
Cathay Pacific also advised passengers to allot ample travel time as Sales Avenue to Andrews Avenue to Domestic Road are closed on January 15 and 19:
- January 15 – 3 pm to 7 pm closed
- January 19 – 7 am to 10 am closed
Philippine Airlines, Cebu Pacific and sister airline Tigerair Philippines already announced cancellations during Pope Francis’ visit affecting hundreds of domestic and international flights. – Rappler.com
Join Rappler in a 100-day countdown to Pope Francis' visit to the Philippines: a journey from the Vatican to Tacloban. Tweet us your thoughts using the hashtag #PopeFrancisPH!