PLDT to livestream Pope Francis events
MANILA, Philippines – Philippine Long Distance Telephone Company (PLDT) will livestream Pope Francis’ visit to the country from January 15 to 19.
There will be 33 free public viewing sites that PLDT, Smart, and Sun Cellular would establish in select parishes and PLDT Sales and Service Centers (SSCs) in and outside of Metro Manila, the telecommunications spokesperson Ramon Isberto said.
Viewing hubs that would cover Pope Francis’ 5-day itinerary include PLDT SSCs in SM malls such as SM Sta Mesa, SM Southmall in Las Piñas, SM North EDSA in Quezon City; and SM Marilao in Bulacan.
The PLDT flagship store in Pasay City will hold a special streaming of the Pope’s activities on Sunday, January 18, from the meeting with the youth and religious leaders in the University of Santo Tomas, to the motorcade going to Rizal Park, and the concluding mass to be held at the Quirino Grandstand.
PLDT SSCs outside of Metro Manila that will also set up viewing sites on Sunday include Calamba, Laguna; Jones, Cebu; San Fernando, Pampanga; Tarlac; and Ponciano, Davao.
Communities near the following parishes can watch the papal events on Sunday in the following:
- Five Wounds Shrine Parish in Las Piñas
- Immaculate Heart of Mary Parish, Quezon City
- Mary Help of Christians Parish and St Joseph Parish in Parañaque
- San Felipe Neri Church in Greenhills
- San Lorenzo Ruiz Parish in San Juan Rizal
- St Niño Parish in Novaliches
- Sts. Peter and John Parish in Malabon
Residents in Cebu and Leyte can also view the papal activities.
Taclobanons can go to Guadalupe Church in Barangay Abucay; Nuestra Senora de Salvacion Chapel in Burayan, San Jose; Our Lady of Miraculous Medal Parish in Marasbaras; and Our Lady of Lourdes Parish in V&G Subdivision; and Redemptorist Church and Sto Niño Church in Real St.
Viewing sites are also set up in the following:
- Lady of Assumption Church in Dauis
- Our Lady of the Holy Rosary Parish in Pawing, Palo
- St Augustine Parish Church in Sagbayan
- St Peter the Apostle Parish Church in Loboc
Cebuanos, meanwhile, can go to the Cebu Cathedral; San Juan Nepomuceno Parish Church in San Remigio; and San Vicente Parish Church in Bogo.
St Joseph the Worker Parish in Tagbilaran, Bohol, and the Parish of the Most Holy Rosary Church in Estancia, Iloilo, will also organize viewing site for their communities.
‘Safe’ papal visit experience
The mobile networks Smart and Sun Cellular also advised Filipinos that safety comes first in big events such as the papal visit.
Mobile subscribers are also advised to:
- Be mindful of mobile phone usage
- Install navigation apps
- Install the Batingaw app that helps monitor Philippine government agencies in times of need and provides utilities that can help in an emergency
- Remember the syntax for emergency load
- Use “ICE” and speed dial
- Stay connected
PLDT was earlier requested to mount additional network capacity during Pope Francis’ visit.
Smart also gives free Twitter access during the papal visit. – Rappler.com
Join Rappler in a 100-day countdown to Pope Francis' visit to the Philippines: a journey from the Vatican to Tacloban. Tweet us your thoughts using the hashtag #PopeFrancisPH!