Miguel Cotto to defend WBC middleweight title vs Canelo Alvarez
MANILA, Philippines – After a series of back-and-forth negotiations, the much-awaited showdown between WBC middleweight titleholder Miguel Cotto and former super welterweight champion Saul “Canelo” Alvarez is finally happening on November 21.
Alvarez made the official announcement through his official Instagram account on Friday, August 14.
It's on! Nov. 21, Mandalay Bay - LIVE on HBO PPV. #CottoCanelo #BornReady Excited for my next fight against @RealMiguelCotto November 21 at @MandalayBay on @HBO PPV. #CottoCanelo Emocionado por mi próxima pelea contra @RealMiguelCotto November 21 en el @MandalayBay por @HBO PPV. #CottoCanelo #BornReady FINALLY! What we all wanted is finally happening: CANELO VS. COTTO is READY! I¹m thankful to God & everyone that made it possible. For me, it¹s an honor to face someone like Cotto & I¹m sure that it will be a great fight that fans around the world will thoroughly enjoy on Nov. 21, 2015 at Mandalay Bay in Las Vegas on HBO PPV. Thanks for the continued support & God bless. !Por fin se hizo lo que tanto esperábamos todos: CANELO VS. COTTO está lista y me siento muy agradecido con Dios y con todos los que hicieron posible esto. Para mí es un honor pelear con alguien como Cotto y será una gran pelea que todo mundo disfrutaremos el 21 de Noviembre de 2015 en el MANDALAY BAY de LAS VEGAS. Gracias a todos por su apoyo y que Dios los bendiga!
Earlier this year, Cotto and Alvarez were negotiating to face off in May, but the talks broke down as the champion’s camp took too long to decide on the deal, prompting the young Mexican boxing superstar to look for another opponent.
Many had felt that Cotto was hampering the marquee match-up against Alvarez to secure a second meeting versus Floyd Mayweather Jr, who routed the hard-hitting Puerto Rican fighter by 12-round verdict in May 2012.
Oscar De La Hoya’s Golden Boy Promotions and Roc Nation Sports had to work together to set the stage for the highly-anticipated ring encounter between Cotto and Alvarez.
"This is the 'Fight of the Year’ that true boxing fans have been waiting for between two of the biggest stars in the sport today, Miguel Cotto and Canelo Alvarez,” De La Hoya said in a press statement,
Since acquiring the services of Freddie Roach in 2013 following a two-fight losing skid in 2012, Cotto (40-4, 33 knockouts) rejuvenated his career under the tutelage of the 7-time “Trainer of the Year” recipient and has won 3 straight matches, including a title-winning performance against Sergio Martinez in June 2014.
Cotto, the only Puerto Rican boxer to win 6 titles in 4different weight classes, is coming off a fourth-round stoppage of Daniel Geale in June.
“I will give the fans the fight they want to see. As I have always said, during my whole career, I am here to fight the best names and the best fighters. This will be another chapter in my career and I will be ready for him,” the 34-year-old Cotto stated.
Alvarez (45-1-1, 32 KOs) scored a ferocious third-round knockout victory over James Kirkland in May.
The 25-year-old Mexican became a world champion in March 2011 when he outpointed Matthew Hatton via unanimous decision to bring home the vacant WBC light middleweight championship.
Alvarez unified the belt with the WBA junior middleweight strap by outclassing Austin Trout in April 2013 before he dropped both titles to Mayweather in September 2013.
Since his disappointing defeat to Mayweather, Alvarez has won 3 outings in a row with two coming by way of knockout.
“All fights at this level are very important, but this fight in particular has something more. It will hold a special place in history as part of the big rivalry between Mexico and Puerto Rico, and I promise all the fans that this is going to be an event that will not disappoint,” Alvarez stressed.
The 12-round championship clash between Cotto and Alvarez will be contested at a catchweight of 155 pounds and is scheduled to take place at the Mandalay Bay Resort & Casino in Las Vegas, Nevada. – Rappler.com