WATCH: Muhammad Ali's funniest in-ring moments
MANILA, Philippines - Muhammad Ali wasn't just a great heavyweight champion. He was also an entertainer, a man who knew the value of putting on a great show regardless of who he was in the ring against.
Like in 1977, when he was on the downside of his career and faced rookie boxer Michael Dokes (himself a future heavyweight champion) in 3-round exhibition. Ali could have elected to dance and move, avoid an injury which could have jeopardized his position as champion, Ali decided to give fans something to talk about, standing in the corner and dodging 10 straight punches in 20 seconds, then shimmying in front of Dokes.
Or later that year when he fought Earnie Shavers, a man whom Larry Holmes described as having a heavier punch than Mike Tyson. Ali, after absorbing a right hand from Shavers, rubbed him on his bald head, a reference to the "Acorn" nickname he had given him earlier.
Ali even had the temerity to joke with then-Philippine president Ferdinand Marcos during his trip for the Thrilla in Manila: "I saw your wife. You're not as dumb as you look."
Ali may be gone, interred into the ground on Saturday, June 11 (Manila time) at the conclusion of a two-day funeral honoring the "The Greatest," who died last week at age 74. But he will be remembered for his fights in the ring, his fights for justice outside the ring and the smiles he brought to the faces of his fans. – Rappler.com
More on Muhammad Ali:
- Boxing legend Muhammad Ali dies at age 74
- Muhammad Ali recalled as a great boxer and a fighter for justice
- Indian boxer Mary Kom tearfully recalls 'inspiration' Ali
- The wisdom of Muhammad Ali in 9 iconic quotes, poems
- TIMELINE: Key dates in Muhammad Ali's life and career
- LOOK: Mike Tyson bids farewell to Muhammad Ali
- FLASHBACK: Historic first Liston fight gave birth to Ali legend
- FLASHBACK: Ali made a jungle Rumble by flattening Foreman
- 5 key fights in Muhammad Ali's career
- Muhammad Ali public funeral set for June 10
- Mike Tyson knew he had no chance of beating Muhamamd Ali
- Parks pays tribute to Muhammad Ali: He served his purpose on Earth