Filipino boxer Romero Duno defeats crafty Juan Sanchez by decision in LA
MANILA, Philippines - Romero Duno was forced to go the distance for the third time in his career but emerged on top, winning a unanimous decision over Juan Pablo Sanchez on Saturday, September 23 (Sunday Manila time) at The Forum in Los Angeles, USA.
All 3 scorecards had Tagum City's Duno (15-1, 13 knockouts) up 78-74 over Sanchez (30-14, 14 KOs) in an 8-round lightweight contest that was a test for the young Filipino prospect's patience and skill. The bout was one of the supporting fights to the Jorge Linares-Luke Campbell WBA lightweight title fight, which was televised in the US by HBO.
Duno, 21, had been used to blowing away opposition, like he did against Christian Gonzalez to earn his deal with Golden Boy Promotions, but found his crafty foe to be a tough puzzle to unravel this time around as Sanchez moved and boxed against his heavier punching opponent.
Duno stepped it up in round 6, applying more pressure and banging away against Sanchez, who countered from time to time with his left hook but was focused more on responding to Duno's punches than seizing the initiative.
“I’m satisfied with my performance. Sanchez was a tough competitor, he fights clean and I respect him," says Duno, who is trained by former champion Rodel Mayol at the Wild Card Gym in LA. "I’ve learned a lot from this fight and am going to take the lessons I’ve learned onto the next.”
Jim Claude Manangquil, Duno's Philippine-based promoter, was happy to see his fighter go rounds against a competent fighter.
"Sanchez was very tough. Duno surely learned a lot from this fight and it's good for his young career. You need fights like this," said Manangquil, who will talk with Golden Boy "very soon" about what happens next with Duno. – Rappler.com