'Chewbacca Mom' rules Facebook's top live videos for 2016
MANILA, Philippines – Probably one of the biggest game changers in social media in the past year and a half is the ability to live stream.
Back in 2015, Facebook launched live video for celebrities. At the start of 2016, the social network expanded the option to all US iPhone users, and then in April, rolled out reactions, filters, and a live map. In June, astronauts were even able to stream live via Facebook from outer space.
But the runaway winner for 2016 is Candace Payne, who hilariously showed off her Chewbacca mask to the rest of cyberspace. Payne aka "Chewbacca Mom" became an Internet star, with her Facebook live video getting 164 million views. She even got to visit the social media giant's headquarters, where she got a "Facebook Star" plaque.
Here's a look at the full list of Facebook's top live videos for 2016, measured by total cumulative views:
1) Candace Payne, Chewbacca Mom
2) Ted Yoder, Soundscapes
3) Buzzfeed, Countdown to the next presidential election
4) Atlanta Buzz, People are lining up to hug police officers in Dallas
5) NBC News, Election results
6) Under the Hood, Video of a truck completely carved out of wood
7) Viral Thread, Population count from US to CA
9) Dena Blizzard, Pokémon Go for moms "Chardonnay Go"
10) Super Deluxe, Election map
The Facebook Live feature was rolled out for all users just this year, making the list the first of its kind. Were you able to spot any of these videos?
In its year-end report, Facebook also said President Rodrigo Duterte and the Philippine presidential election made it to the top 10 most discussed topics worldwide on its site this year. – Rappler.com