Pope Francis on parenting, the world's richest, Pacquiao-Mayweather | The wRap
Today on Rappler:
- Pope Francis says Catholics shouldn’t breed “like rabbits."
- Humanitarian group Oxfam says the 1% of the world will control more than half of global wealth by 2016.
- Manny Pacquiao gives Floyd Mayweather a deadline.
POPE SAYS CATHOLICS SHOULD NOT BREED 'LIKE RABBITS'
On his flight back to Rome from the Philippines, Pope Francis defends the Church’s teaching against artificial contraception but tells journalists Catholics don’t have to breed “like rabbits.” He also told families gathered Saturday... the “key teaching of the Church is responsible parenthood.” Francis last Friday warned Filipinos against what he called “ideological colonization” that threatens the family with efforts to “redefine marriage.” The Pope’s 5-day visit was largely seen as a huge success, even by veteran Vatican reporters. Italian journalist Giovanna Agnese Chirri has covered the Vatican since 1994. She says she did not expect the “big numbers” that showed up. Chirri adds, “The people are very warm. He’s Latin American, so he is accustomed to the warmth of the people.” The Pope arrived back in Rome 12:38 am on Tuesday Manila time.
BRITISH SPY AGENCY TAPPED JOURNALISTS' EMAILS – REPORT
An analysis of documents released by former US security consultant Edward Snowden reveals a British spy agency tapped emails of journalists from top media organizations. The journalists targeted by agency GCHQ were from The Guardian, The New York Times, The Washington Post, and the BBC. The Guardian reports the emails were among 70,000 harvested in November 2008 through fiber-optic cable taps. The Guardian also says the spy agency considers “investigative journalists” a threat along with terrorists and hackers.
‘NUT RAGE’ TRIAL OPENS OF KOREAN AIR HEIRESS
The trial of a former Korean Air executive and heiress begins... over an incident that triggered national uproar dubbed “nut rage”. Cho Hyun-Ah went into a rage over macadamia nuts served on board and is accused of verbally and physically abusing a steward. The woman faces 10-years for aviation safety violations and an additional five years on charges of coercion and interference in the execution of duty.
RICHEST 1% TO OWN MORE THAN EVERYONE ELSE BY 2016
Humanitarian group Oxfam says wealth accumulated by the richest 1% will exceed that of the other 99% in 2016. In a report presented at the World Economic Forum in Davos Switzerland Monday Oxfam says the richest one percent's share of global wealth increased from 44% in 2009 to 48% in 2014 and will be more than 50% in 2016. Oxfam called on nations to tackle tax evasion improve public services, and introduce living minimum wages for a more equitable distribution of wealth.
PACQUIAO SETS DEADLINE FOR MEGA FIGHT VS MAYWEATHER
Boxing champ Manny Pacquiao gives a deadline for Floyd Mayweather Jr. to seal the deal on their long-awaited showdown inside the ring. In an interview with LA Times, Pacquiao says he is only giving the unbeaten American boxer until the end of January to sign the contract. Pacquiao approved the terms Mayweather presented to him for a 12-round encounter on May 2 with a 60/40 purse split favoring boxing’s pound-for-pound king. But Mayweather has yet to commit to a marquee match-up already more than five years in the making.
For those on desktop, click on the links on your screen.
You can also click on the tabs below to go to a story in the video.
And for those on smartphones and tablets, the links can be found below the video.
Click here for the audio-only version:
|EXECUTIVE PRODUCER / WRITER||Lilibeth Frondoso|
|ASSOCIATE PRODUCER / PUBLISHER||Rodneil Quiteles|
|HEAD WRITER / PROMPTER||Katerina Francisco|
|MASTER EDITOR / PLAYBACK||Exxon Ruebe|
|TECHNICAL DIRECTOR / CAMERAMAN||Charlie Salazar|
|Raffy de Guzman|
|GRAPHICS DESIGN / ANIMATION||Acid House|