21 dead in shipwreck off Haiti coast
PORT-AU-PRINCE, Haiti – Twenty-one migrants died after their boat sank off the north coast of Haiti, a senior official said Thursday, April 9.
A senior official at Haiti's civil protection directorate said those on board the ship had been trying to reach Providenciales Island in the neighboring Turks and Caicos.
The ship – which left at about midnight – had attempted to return after running into bad weather but sank off the coast in the early hours of April 9, said the official, Alta Jean-Baptiste.
The 21 bodies were found on the shore in the town of Borgne, west of Cap-Haitien, the Caribbean country's second-largest city.
Authorities said there were survivors, but they were unable to immediately give a precise figure.
In Haiti, an impoverished country where more than 70 percent of the population lives on less than $2 a day, residents regularly attempt to illegally reach Turks and Caicos or the Bahamas.
Haitian authorities have tried to put a stop to the flow of illegal migrants, but soaring unemployment has led many Haitians, notably the young, to try to build a future elsewhere. – Rappler.com